12-year-old shark attack victim identified, still critical

UPDATE, 5.30pm: THE young girl fighting for life after a Whitsundays shark attack has been identified as 12-year-old Hannah Papps.

Hannah was on holiday with her father and sister. The family lives in Melbourne but is originally from New Zealand, the Courier Mail reports.

The parents of Hannah Papps requested the following statement be issued on Friday: "We would like to thank everyone who has helped and cared for Hannah, including the police, emergency services and the hospital teams.

"As at 5pm, Friday, 21 September, Hannah is in a critical but stable condition.

"We ask that everyone, including the media, please respect our family's privacy during this very difficult time so we can focus our energies on Hannah's recovery."

UPDATE 1.45pm: QUEENSLAND Yacht Charters has confirmed both shark attack victims had been passengers on board vessels under their management.

Managing director Christophe Vanek, in a statement, said one vessel was under private use and other was a charter.

It is understood the first shark victim, Justine Barwick, 46, of Tasmania, was pulled aboard Topaz, while the 12-year-old girl had been on Miss Devereux with her father and sister.

"I thank and commend those who came to the immediate aid of Mrs Barwick on Wednesday and the 12-year-old girl yesterday. We also thank the relevant authorities and commend their timely response," Mr Vanek said.

"I have been in constant contact with both families and wish them the very best for the recovery of their loved ones.

"I echo Minister Furner's statement that shark attack incidents are rare in the Whitsundays. Our staff and the broader community are feeling a great deal of shock."

The charter company has notified its current customers against swimming to refrain from swimming in Cid Harbour and the broader Whitsundays "for the foreseeable future" and said it is working with relevant government agencies in relation to both incidents.

UPDATE 10.40AM: THE 12-year-old shark bite victim has been transferred to the Royal Flying Doctor Service plane as of 10.30am. 

She will be flown to Brisbane Airport before being transported via ambulance to Lady Cilento. 

Paramedics and the RACQ CQ Rescue crew arriving at Mackay Base Hospital with the 12-year-old girl who was mauled by the shark.
Paramedics and the RACQ CQ Rescue crew arriving at Mackay Base Hospital with the 12-year-old girl who was mauled by the shark. Madura McCormack

INITIAL: A YOUNG girl mauled by a shark in the Whitsundays is due to be medically evacuated to Brisbane this morning.

A spokeswoman for the Royal Flying Doctor Service confirmed the 12-year-old girl from Melbourne is scheduled to be flown via fixed wing aircraft to Brisbane from Mackay Airport at 10am.

The girl is in a critical condition after being mauled by a shark about 1.45pm on Thursday at Cid Harbour, the second attack at the spot in less than 24 hours.

It is understood the girl will be escorted to the airport by the Queensland Ambulance Service, before being flown with at least one doctor and nurse to Brisbane.

She was bitten just below the groin and suffered major blood loss.

She will then be taken to Lady Cilento Children's Hospital for further treatment.

Meanwhile, a Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital spokeswoman confirmed the first shark attack victim, Justine Barwick, 46, is in a stable condition in the Intensive Care Unit.